Saturday, January 05, 2008

Lawmaker and tax shaming list

I am not really sure how I feel about the tax shaming list. Especially now that the threshold for adding names to the list is now only $5,000. You and your business could have a bad year and end up owing more than $5,000 in a heartbeat. It does not make you a deadbeat. I also does not make you a irresponsible person, you may just need more time until business picks up.

Anyway, one of the lawmakers on the Joint Finance Committee ended up having his name on the "shame" list.

MJS-

The co-chairman of the Legislature's budget committee was stunned Friday to learn that his name was on the state Department of Revenue's newly expanded Internet list of delinquents who owe $5,000 or more in unpaid taxes.


In my opinion, if you are going to do this with a threshold of $5,000, then you should be delinquent for more than two years in paying or maybe something similar.

I just think that $5,000 is too low of a threshold.

No comments: