Saturday, December 08, 2007

The Mafia in Tennis?

Apparently, John McEnroe believes that the mafia may be influencing tennis matches.

I am not kidding here, folks.

Yahoo Sports

US tennis legend John McEnroe expressed his concern on Friday that organised crime, such as the Russian mafia, could be infiltrating tennis.

The former world number one believes that threats to tennis players or their families could be forcing them into throwing matches.

"The thing that worries me is that mafia types, like the Russian mafia, could be involved. That's potentially pretty dark and scary," McEnroe told The Daily Telegraph.

continued...

I played on my high school tennis team and I love the game.

Over the last several years, there just has not been anyone exciting enough to watch, so I have not been paying attention. Apparently, one prominent tennis player has been suspended for betting on matches and even more are being investigated for throwing tennis matches.

Good grief! What has this world come to if the mafia is controlling tennis matches.

No comments: